Home      Nova Scotia

 

LOCKEPORT NOVA SCOTIA OUR SECOND HOME

Lockeport is a traditional Nova Scotian fishing town, situated on an isthmus of land in Allendale Bay. The area that surrounds the bay is known as the "Ragged Islands."

 

Print this pageAdd to Favorite
 

 

   

Click HERE for Lockeport Town Website

 

 

      PLACE HOLDER

                          

 

 

 

 

Lockeport 1939 to 1940 video Pt 1

Lockeport 1939 to 1940 video Pt 2

Madison Violet Harmony Festival Lockeport

Madison Violet Never Saw The Ending

Lockeport Link with video

Harmony Bazaar Link

Lockeport 1939 Lookout

Lockeport Lobster Fishing

She's Called Nova Scotia Video

 

*************************************************************************************************************


*************************************************************************************************************

LOCKEPORT HISTORY

In 1762 two families from Massachusetts journeyed to Nova Scotia in an effort to find a new colony that was closer to the rich fishing grounds of the Grand Banks. When they found the sheltered Allendale bay, they knew they had found a gem in the rough. Situated halfway between the colonies in New England and the fishing grounds, their new town would be a centre for both fishing, and trade.

The patriarchs of those first two families, Jonathan Locke, and Josiah Churchill went on to become the captains of industry in the area, and Churchill became the first mayor of the township of Locke's Island (Registered in Liverpool in 1764).

Locke's Island, and its surroundings entered a period of booming industry, with hotels, trade warehouses, and multiple fish plants being constructed. Large trade ships plied the sea lanes from Locke's Island to the West Indies to trade lumber and salt cod, returning to the town laden with Molasses and Salt. The fishing schooners were constantly returning from the Bank's loaded with cod. However, this golden age of the Ragged Islands would eventually come to an end, with the first of many catastrophes coming in the form of a fish market collapse in the 1890s. Subsequent fires plagued the town, and the once great community was brought to its knees.

In 1907, a meeting was held among the rate-payers of the town. It was obvious to all in attendance that drastic action would need to be taken in order to stimulate the economy of Locke's Island. They decided that the Township of Locke's Island would become the Town of Lockeport, by incorporating as a town; the community was able to receive money from the provincial government.

The money initially received by the town was used to construct a ferry that would link the town with a nearby rail line. This action did succeed in stimulating the declining economy but it was unable to restore the town to its former state of glory.

 

 

 

THIS PAGE IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT 02.03.13